1. You are expected to practice and produce an up-to-date practice log signed by your parent or guardian to advance to the next belt.
2. To earn each belt, the student is expected to perform each song with 75% accuracy with “Smart Musc” in Mr. Cieply’s room. Practice at home with the Essential Elements accompaniment tracks at: www.essentialelementsinteractive.com, www.myeelibrary.com or on CD. The performance must be without mistakes in pitch, rhythm or tempo.
3. For each assessment, you MAY NOT write the letters of the notes in the book.
4. You may only earn the belts in the order they are given. You may, however, substitute one of the higher belt’s scale choice with the instructor’s consent.
5. You may only earn one belt in a lesson.
6. You must have all band supplies to take the test. (Music, Reeds, valve/slide oil, pencil)
To earn each belt the students must correctly perform:
- One song from the Essential Elements (EE) book with accompaniment.
B(2) Ascending and Descending Scale whole notes(scale sheet is permitted).
B(3) Ascending and Descending Scale from memory, half notes (60 bpm)
B(4) Ascending and Descending Scale from memory, quarter notes (60 bpm)
- Sight reading from https://www.sightreadingfactory.com/educators using the appropriate scale key for the belt and indicated level and time signature
EE exercise* (Concert) Sight Reading Percussion Rudiment
White Belt Page 4, #6 Quiz on p. 3 EE, “Getting it Together”
Yellow Belt Page 6, #14 Demonstrate proper maintenance
Orange Belt Page 7, #25 5-note (1) EE ex. 16-24 Multiple Bounce
Green Belt Page 8, #31 B-Flat (1) Level 1, 4/4 Flam, Flam-Tap
Blue Belt Page 10, #44/45 B-flat (2) Level 1, 3/4 Paradiddle, 5-stroke roll
Purple Belt Page 14, #62/64 B-flat (3) Level 2, 2/4 Sus. cym roll, Triangle, Crash Cymbal
Brown Belt Page 18, #90/91 2 scales (3) Level 2, 4/4 Double Paradiddle, Flam Accent
Red Belt Page 26, #134/136 3 scales (3) Level 3, 3/4 7-stroke roll
Black Belt Page 34. #177/178 3 scales (4) Level 3, 6/8 Long Roll, Drag
Black Belt, 2nd deg. Vol. 2, #68/74 4 scales (4) Level 4, Rand. Drag Tap, Ratamacue Key & Time
Black Belt, 3rd deg. Vol. 2, #106/111 Chromatic (4) Level 5, Rand. 9-stroke roll Triple Paradiddle
Black Belt, 4th deg. Vol. 2, #141/143 Chromatic (4) Level 6, Rand. Double & Triple Ratamacue
Key & Time